Friday 25 September 2009

My Face - In 3D!

Week 1

In my first week back I received my brief for 3rd Year 3D modelling. This consists of using images of my own face to produce a 3D character of myself. I have tried doing this before using tutorials on Youtube and other sites to model a 3D cartoon character and found it quite time consuming, and intense. I have also tried modelling my car in 3D studio before, using blueprints from a website in which I managed to draw the first half of my car but gave up when it came to the wheels and various technical details.

Initially I will be taking a front and side view of my face to show all the details required to make it a 3D model. Then, using photoshop I will align the specific sections of the face, for example the nose, pupils in the eyes etc. to make sure the side profile will be in proportion to the front.

The next step in the process is to draw the outlines of wrinkles and lines where the face is defined, with blue lines. This also helps to separate the different facial muscle groups in my face. Then, using red lines I will break my face up into quads (four sides shapes) as this will be the way to define the face in 3D studio later on.

1 comment: